Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Part of the Universe


So by tonight (it’s Monday night, even though this will get posted tomorrow), I’ve complete 34/50 acts of kindness I planned to do this week. And though it’s possible that I do 16 tomorrow, it’s highly unlikely. None the less, I will try my hardest. Anyway, I have much more interesting things to write about tonight.

Have you ever heard people lament on the fact that they are so incredibly small in the grander scheme of things that they could not possibly make a difference in the world no matter what they do? I used to think the same way. But then I started looking up. Literally. I love looking at the sky. Clouds, rain, stars, moon, sunrises sunsets, you name it. I could star at the sky for hours and never get bored. I especially love that dark blue color the night sky gets before the light fades away completely for the night. Looking up at the sky, some might feel small and insignificant in comparison to the vast space above. But I don’t feel smaller in comparison to the universe when I look up. Looking up, I feel like I’m a part of the universe.

Hear me out: There’s this book I absolutely adore called Tuesdays with Morrie. It’s by  Mitch Albom and the following quote is my favorite part:

“I heard a nice little story the other day,” Morrie says. He closes his eyes for a moment and I wait.

“Okay. The story is about a little wave, bobbing along in the ocean, having a grand old time. He’s enjoying the wind and the fresh air — until he notices the other waves in front of him, crashing against the shore. “

“‘My God, this is terrible,’ the wave says ‘Look what’s going to happen to me!’”

“Then along comes another wave. It sees the first wave, looking grim, and it says to him, ‘Why do you look so sad?’ “

“The first wave says, ‘You don’t understand! We’re all going to crash! All of us waves are going to be nothing! Isn’t it terrible?’ “

“The second wave says, ‘No, you don’t understand. You’re not a wave, you’re part of the ocean.’ “

I smile. Morrie closes his eyes again.

Looking up at the sky, just like the wave was part of the ocean, I feel like I’m a part of the universe. And therefore, if I’m a part of the universe, anything I do, good or bad, will change the universe. There is no insignificance. Only a perception of such.

No comments:

Post a Comment