Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Most Important Thing

     Since my decision to start changing the world a while ago, my focus has always been directed somewhere other than myself. I would lose sleep, staying up to help others online. I would stress myself out worrying about everyone I cared about. It’s not hard for anyone to relate to loosing themselves in the midst of working at their goals.

     But before you lose yourself completely, hear these words: The most important thing to remember while trying to change the world is to take care of yourself.  Nothing productive will get done unless you, yourself, are in a healthy state of mind.  Your best work occurs when you are happy and healthy. And so to keep yourself in a state that is anything but happy and healthy is a disservice to your goals, and consequently, yourself.

     Here are some of tips to keep yourself healthy while reaching for the stars:

1.      1.  As you can probably tell by now, I’m a huge advocate for lists. Make two. One will list all the stressors in your life and the other will list everything that you will do to realize those stressors.

2.       2. Make a calendar. Plan out your time that you’re going to be concentrating on changing the world and make sure you leave some time for yourself to relax as well.

3.       3. Take a day for yourself once in a while. I’ve been there. I’ve been in so deep and thought that if I took one day for myself the world would come crashing down because I needed to be there for people every second of the day. The world doesn’t work like that though. The word will survive without you for one day, or even just one hour. Live for yourself for a day and allow yourself to smile and remind yourself what life is all about before you try to dive back into your project.

4.       4. Take fifteen minutes out of your day, each day, to smile, and relax. Concentrate on you

5.      5.  Understand that not everything works out perfectly. If, while chasing your goals, life doesn’t turn out the way you thought it would, don’t beat yourself up. Not everyone’s perfect. You’re only human. And humans are allowed to make mistakes. Learn from your mistakes and move on.


Changing the world is a large endeavor. And one does not embark on such an endeavor without being fully prepared.  Fully prepare yourself by taking care of yourself first. Both yourself, and the world, will thank you later.  Like always, feel free to add to my list <3

2 comments:

  1. Very true indeed. Nice blog you have here Sheila and a wonder endeavor to set out to change the world. I used to have a blog entitled Be the Change. I'm very much with you on changing the world by being the change I wish to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! And I wish you all the best in your goals to be the change as well!

    ReplyDelete